Hospital patients evacuated after fire nearby

As a result of a fire declared Sunday evening in the basement of the building adjacent to St Bernard’s Hospital, the GHA activated evacuation protocol due to the presence of smoke having been detected within the hospital.

Patients of Rainbow Ward and residents of Calpe Ward were immediately transferred to adjacent, unaffected wards, and the GHA initiated the emergency smoke extraction systems. 

All evacuated patients and residents were able to safely return to their respective wards by 10pm.

Thankfully, due to the rapid response of staff, patient safety was upheld at all times and no damage was sustained, said GHA.

Speaking on the matter, the Minister for Health, Paul Balban said: “I was kept informed at every stage of this unfortunate event. The safety of our patients, staff and general public is our priority in these situations and I would like to thank both our clinical and non-clinical support staff for the diligent and professional manner in which this incident was handled, under the leadership of Kevin Eagle, the acting Head of Estates and Clinical Engineering; Susan Vallejo, ERS Manger and Sandie Gracia, Director of Nursing Services.”